Arizona and UCLA Advance to Cup Semifinals - Collegiate Rugby Championship
By on

Fuller Winton got the two-time champion Dartmouth Big Green on the board. Olie Engelhart added the conversion with the wind dying down just in time. When Eric Naposki-Abdallah waa sent to the bench, leaving the Bruins down a man, Engelhart found the space he needed to carve up UCLA’s defense for a try under the post and conversion. In the blink of an eye, the eighth seed Big Green looked poised to upset the top-seeded bruins. But Benjamin Broselle, even with his side down a man, got down the left wing for a try in the middle. Cian Barry added the conversion to make it 14–7 in favor of Dartmouth. The gap was only temporarily narrowed as Gyorgy Brevnov closed the half with a try to put Dartmouth back up seven, following Engelhart’s conversion.

UCLA started on the wrong foot in the second half with Patrick Reagan drawing a yellow card. But UCLA still managed to score down a man, again by Broselle, conversion by Barry. Winton Fuller got in for another Dartmouth try to to keep Dartmouth in the driver’s seat. Not to be outdone, Broselle made it a hat trick to give Barry the chance to make it a one-score game, and Barry did just that with his conversion. That gave UCLA seventy seconds to get seven points and keep dreams of a national title alive. A Dartmouth penalty with ten seconds to go gave UCLA the opportunity and the points came from John McKeon. It all came down to whether Barry could hit the conversion to give his team a chance at added extra time, and from outside, Barry did just that.

In extra time who else could it have been but Benjamin Brosselle for the streaking-away try. On extra time: UCLA 33, Dartmouth 28.


  • Dartmouth: #2TT, #5T, #4T, #5CCCC,
  • UCLA: #2TTT, #3T, #10CCC
  • Yellow Card: UCLA #11, UCLA #7

Despite being the much higher seed, Arizona was far from assured a victory in the match. Iona seemed to have much of the early momentum in the match. Still, it was the Wildcats who scored first through Dante Weeks in the sixth minute for the 7–0 lead. As the hooter blared to end the half, Matt Rogers zoomed past the Iona defenders for a 12–0 lead at the break.

The second half saw both sides playing down a man due to yellow cards. With the match a six-on-six affair, Iona was shown a second yellow card forcing it to play five on six. While a tall order in any occasion, an impossible prospect when playing a quality opponent. Arizona got the score from Jon Rogers to make it 17–0 on full time.

Zona: #10T, #9T, #9C/#15T
Yellow Card: Iona #6; Arizona #11; Iona #7

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *